Vedic Ayurveda For Gestational Diabetes
Gestational Diabetes is a temporary health condition that develops in women during pregnancy because of hormonal changes.
The placenta secretes a hormone that produces some cells that lower insulin sensitivity. Due to this, the body fails to secrete the extra insulin required during pregnancy, thereby causing gestational diabetes.
Sometimes, Diabetes detected at the time of pregnancy can be type 2 Diabetes. However, in 95% of such cases, the blood sugar level normalises after delivery. However, there are 40%–60% chances of such women developing type 2 Diabetes later in life.
What are the symptoms of Gestational Diabetes?
Mostly, women do not experience any noticeable symptoms. As a precautionary measure, the doctor may recommend doing a test to check the blood sugar level between the 24th and 28th week of pregnancy. The symptoms of this condition are usually mild and not life-threatening, which include frequent urination, increased thirst, fatigue, and vaginal infection.
However, it may cause the below-mentioned problems for the baby:
- Respiratory issues
- Hypoglycemia—low blood glucose level
- Toxaemia, also known as preeclampsia, is harmful to both the mother and the fetus. It causes water retention, high blood pressure, which can impair kidneys, lungs. Toxaemia can obstruct blood flow to the placenta, and this hinders the baby’s growth. In some severe cases, it can lead to the mother and the infant’s death.
Can diet help to keep Gestational Diabetes at bay?
Vedic Ayurveda recommends that alterations in diet and eating schedule improve the mother’s health, especially if she has Gestational Diabetes.
Let’s learn more about how to get rid of Gestational Diabetes with a well-planned diet. The diet must include the following:
- Vegetables: Spinach, bitter gourd, tomatoes, fenugreek leaves, bell pepper, cucumber, broccoli, radish, sponge gourd, cabbage, kale, lettuce, cauliflower.
- Fruits: Apple, plums, kiwi, oranges, lime, peaches, guava, gooseberry, coffee plum /black plum.
- Pulses: Bengal gram, green gram, black-eyed pea, chickpea, garbanzo beans, chickpea.
- Cereals: Oats, wheat, pearl millet, barley.
- Spices: Cinnamon, turmeric, fenugreek seeds, garlic.
- Dry Fruits: Apricot, almond, walnut.
Which other supportive methods can prevent Gestational Diabetes?
Apart from the diet, the following ways can effectively help mothers manage Diabetes with Ayurveda without causing any harm to the baby:
- Intake of ayurvedic herbs: Herbs such as neem, Triphala, turmeric, bel, ashwagandha, jambul, gurmar can prove highly beneficial. One must consult an Ayurveda expert before using these herbs.
- Yoga: Practicing a combination of different yoga asanas can reduce stress and control blood sugar levels. Additionally, it aids in maintaining a healthy weight and also keeps you physically active. Consult a yoga professional before starting to prevent any discomfort in the pregnancy.
- Breathing exercises: According to Vedic Ayurveda, pranayama or controlled breathing exercises can lower the amount of stress on the body and can also enhance physical and psychological health.
Women should be exceedingly cautious during pregnancy to avoid any maternal or fetal complications and adopt ayurvedic remedies to enjoy long-lasting health benefits. Vedic Ayurveda is a safe and comprehensive approach toward a better lifestyle. To manage Diabetes with Ayurveda, one must blend it with a wholesome diet, exercise, and medication, for best results.